"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Lord Acton
"Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power." US President Abraham Lincoln
"Das Experiment" (The Experiment) A good German movie showing how power can bring out the worst in our character.
Nobody heard him, the dead man, but still he lay moaning: I was much further out than you thought. And not waving but drowning. (Stevie Smith)
Member for 3 years, 1 month
15 profile views
Last seen Nov 11 '17 at 15:07
- English Language & Usage 45.7k 45.7k 3535 gold badges134134 silver badges259259 bronze badges
- Italian Language 721 721 55 silver badges1111 bronze badges
- History 500 500 33 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- Medical Sciences 277 277 11 silver badge1010 bronze badges
- Linguistics 221 221 11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 66 “kinda”, “sorta”, “coulda”, “shoulda”, “lotta”, “oughta”, “betcha”, "tseasy" etc. What are these?
- 60 "My personal opinion is..." Is it always pointless to use the words "personal" and "personally"?
- 48 What is this method of joking about a morbid situation called?
- 47 What do you call a person who keeps talking about art; studies art, criticizes art, and thinks he'd be amazing with it. But he doesn't practice it
- 45 Is there a saying or proverb for a situation where the weakest party will always lose?
- 44 Washing the skin of a dead rat
- 43 "Childlessness is hereditary in our family" What do you call a statement containing a contradiction such as the example?
- View more network posts →